Today I joined some of the fantastic #CMGRHangout community to share my experiences and advice for starting a career in community management. It was the first time I’d been on a video panel with this many people, and despite stumbling over myself a lot I think I got to make some solid points on the parts important to me–especially for the last discussion question! There’s probably a blog post in there waiting to be written…
Last year we decided to run a series of Community Manager stories in preparation for Community Manager Appreciation Day sharing how various community professionals have moved from other industries into ours. Recently, Cindi Schultz reached out to ask us what other people did before working in community and how they made the jump.
This week’s #CMGRHangout panel Friday, October 10th at 2pm EST consists of many who have made the leap to community management from other industries. We’ll talk about where we came from, how we got here, what worked and what didn’t work.
Sherrie Rohde and Dom Garrett will be hosting the Hangout with Paulette Bleam, William Chau, David DeWald, Aimee Jarboe, Teri Kojetin, Venessa Paech, Cindi Schultz and Sara Sigel as panelists. Carrie Keenan will be moderating the Twitter chat using #CMGRHangout.
- What career path were you on before transitioning to the community industry?
- How did you discover community management and what drew you to pursue it?
- What skills did you need to acquire in order to make the shift into community?
- How did you transition the public’s perception of your skills in your personal branding (LinkedIn, etc.)?
- How did you secure your first role in community without prior work experience?
- What pitfalls did you encounter along the path from your previous career track to community?
- What is your #1 tip for someone else wanting to shift into community?